Academy Centre Overview
What happens in Cornwall?
Players take part in seven training sessions and four competition days at the Cornwall Academy Centre, based in Truro.
How do I get involved in Cornwall?
- Players are nominated to attend an Academy Centre assessment day by their Development Centre coaches
- Players may be nominated by their school and / or club to the assessment day if they have previously attended a Development Centre / Academy Centre
- Players can be nominated from the ages of 13-17
- Cornwall run Academy Centre’s at U14, U15 and U17 age groups for boys and girls
- Players who consistently demonstrate strong skills are invited to the Academy Centre
If you are not selected for an Academy Centre do not worry, you should continue to develop your hockey through school, club and Development Centre activity. You may be nominated to attend an Academy Centre later in the season and can be nominated at any age group.
What are the entry and exit points?
Players enter Academy Centre’s in October. There are transition points during the year where players may be selected for a Performance Centre.
Further information about U15 selection can be found here.
For information about U17 selection, please click here.
Information about Academy Centre to Performance Centre transition can be found here.
Who is it run by?
Academy Centres are run by Cornwall Hockey Association through The Schools & Youth Committee.
Main points of contact are John Racquet and Kelly Jefferies. If you are interested in helping the County deliver the Player Pathway programme then please get in contact with us - we would love to hear from you!